Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Is It Unhealthy to Want a Relationship Seen On TV?

I need to admit an unhealthy love for something not real. It's called "Friday Night Lights", it's a television show, and I am in love with it. In particular, I am modeling my hopeful life partner off of a relationship seen on television.

I feel I must defend myself by illuminating you all with the knowledge that I've never really been a "tv" person. True, I went to film school, but I really didn't watch television or listen to music until my mid-twenties. Even so, I very recently bought my first ever television (I've had tv hand-me-downs, don't worry, I'm not a total freak). I like tv, just haven't really found the time to get involved on a regular basis. I actually want to be more of a tv person (hence the recent purchase) not only because it's pretty essential for my career, but because it really is a good form of escape. Therapy in a cheaper manner.

Regardless, my brother turned me on a month ago to this show "Friday Night Lights" and he insisted I'd really like it because it was well made, good writing, fine actors, etc. I blew it off, because it looked to me like something my mom would watch while crocheting on an actual Friday night (bless her soul). Basically one step away from a Lifetime made-for-tv movie. Yet, I obliged and got Season 1, Disk 1 on Netflix. And that was the beginning of my love affair. I LOVE that show. I love the people, I love their lives, and I love their relationships. My main infatuation is with Coach Taylor and his wife. I want their relationship. They are so in love but have real life problems! They fight, but they apologize and they say what they feel and in the end they always end up getting each other. Or, they don't get each other and it's ok. Mrs. Taylor can actually speak her mind and will yell at her husband and stick up for herself and in the end he admits wrong doing, she admits her wrong doing, and they are there for each other and partners and you can just tell they're meant to be together. Ah. It's so frickn' perfect. It's perfect but it's not perfect which in my mind makes it perfect. And that is what I want.

So, um, is this unhealthy? That I finally know what I'm looking for in a man and life partner and it's modeled off of a fictional couple based on a football centric town in Dillon, TX and returns to television (thank God as I am now caught up and through all 3 seasons) in April?

2 comments:

Judaye said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. You always make me laugh and think when you share your insightful and intelligent thoughts in such a humorous way.

Girl Twentiesh said...

Thank you! Let me know if there is any topic you'd like to hear my totally biased and sarcastic opinion on :)