Friday, July 18, 2008

Couples Showers- Minus Half

One might say I have a very active wedding season. It’s kind of like a really fun, happy part-time job that I actually lose income on. Or, you could say one really long extended event with several wardrobe changes. Really, I am blessed to be a part of all this wedded bliss, so do not take anything I say on the offense. This is purely relaying facts for clarification purposes.

As we all know, most weddings include a basic lineup of events that neatly line up on the very important Wedding Timeline. One of these is the shower (or showers if you are a bridesmaid). Here the gaggle of girls snack on food, hopefully drink wine if the organizer has any sense at all, talk about babies and color schemes and Crate & Barrel, and watch the bride open loads of presents she pretends to be excited about but already knows you bought because she checks her registry status online all day (some of us load up on wine during this part). But usually these things are just fun excuses for girls to get together and gossip. So I thought.

Recently, I was thrown off guard. I was invited to a Couples Shower.
I, am not a part of a “couple”. So….what does this mean exactly? Now not only must I be enveloped by soon to be married or already married people for the entire summer and fall, but I am also not demographically acceptable for a shower? Should I pack my bags and move to a monastery where I belong?

I must give the organizer a little credit though- he did put on the invitation the following:
“If you can’t round up a date, that’s fine, still come!”

I wonder if there is a special goody bag for us poor souls who can’t round up a random date. Perhaps the mismatched plates the bride will replace from her registry? In that case, I’m all on board. Don’t worry, I’ll sit out during couple’s charades.

No comments: