Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How to Find Your Soulmate

I’m not sure when this term became popular, the idea of a soulmate. But it’s big now.  Huge. I’m sure it was on a few episodes of Sex and the City. Everybody’s doing it. Finding their soulmate. With the amount of online articles and media mentions you’d think it was as common as replacing your running shoes. Or you stopped off at Walgreens to pick up your prescription and then grabbed a soulmate on your way out. How fantastically convenient. Birth control and soulmate in one harmonious errand.

What is a soulmate anyway? If you google “soulmate” the first thing that comes up is a wikepedia entry- so it must be real! Everyone knows Wikepedia is the bible for Millennials (sorry generation X’ers, I know you’re still getting used to this World Wide Web fad). According to the definition, a soulmate is:

“A term sometimes used to designate someone with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul – which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join. However, not everyone who uses these terms intends them to carry such mystical connotations.”

Well then. What if you don’t believe in a soul-as I know there are those holding this belief- then is one soulmate screwed? Without believing in the need for another half to complete you, does that mean you’re missing the deep and natural affinity bliss boat? That sucks. Guess those people better start collecting cats and canned goods. It's going to be a long life.

I do like the broadness of the term though. By this definition, I’m a part of the elite group! I most definitely have a natural affinity and deep spiritual connection to champagne. And we’re super compatible- it always does what I’m thinking without even asking- like it just knows how I want to feel. And you can’t get much more intimate than licking every last drop out of a bottle. By golly I have found my soulmate.

1 comment:

bloggist said...

Wow, I guess your boyfriend must not read your blog?